How to treat Heat Stroke
- Call 9-1-1 or activate EMS immediately! A delayed call could be fatal.
- The main objective of first aid treatment for heat stroke is to lower the casualty’s body temperature as quickly as possible.
- Move the casualty to a shady or cool place.
- Loosen and/or remove any sweat-soaked clothing.
- Cool the casualty’s body by immersing him/her in cold water or if unavailable, sponging him/her down with cold compresses.
- Fan the casualty with a magazine, cardboard, or an electric fan.
- Do not give the casualty anything to drink unless their condition stabilizes. Once stabilized, small sips of water can be given. Do not give caffeinated or alcoholic beverages.
Heat Emergencies range from discomfort to life-threatening! Learn the Signs, Symptoms and Treatment of Heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Find out about LIVE OSHA Standard First Aid & Emergency Care at your location... check out American CPR Training™