Inhaled Poisons (smoke, chemical or gas fumes)
- Check the area before entering and placing yourself at risk. If the area is unsafe, wait for Emergency Personnel to arrive.
- Call 9-1-1 or EMS immediately! Call the Poison Control Center: 800-222-1222.
- If the area is safe to enter, move the casualty to an area that has fresh air as soon as possible. Open doors and windows to ventilate toxic fumes.
- If the casualty is not breathing, begin CPR immediately.
- Keep the casualty as calm and quiet as possible.
- Do not give the casualty alcoholic or caffeinated beverages. Give non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated liquids only if the casualty is conscious.
Also see: Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning
, Treating Swallowed / Ingested Poisons
, What to do: Convulsions from Poisoning
, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Content excerpted from the Urgent First Aid Guide
used by permission Copyright 2013 UrgentFirstAid.com
All Rights Reserved. Get a full copy of the First Aid Guide
for under $1!
Poisoning can occur in a variety of ways; from ingestion, inhalation, absorption or injection! Learn first aid treatment for the different types of poisoning
(it is very different and specific to each situation). Find out about LIVE OSHA Standard First Aid & Emergency Care
at your location... check out American CPR Training®